Retrieved 23 May 2020, 18:38 IST
Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez has announced that the La Liga season could resume in the week beginning June 6.
Sanchez made the announcement on Saturday while addressing various issues related to the coronavirus.
La Liga officials are looking for Friday 12 June as the date they want the league to return to and they can now move towards that goal.
Sanchez said: “Spain has done what it should have done and now a new horizon is opening for everyone. It’s time to start a lot of daily activities again. La Liga will return to football from June 6.”
Clubs have returned to training, although social distance rules have been followed and full group sessions have yet to be held.
Matches should be played behind closed doors, but Sanchez’s announcement should allow the 2019-20 season to end.
The Spanish government has given the green light to professional sports #LaLigaSantander And #LaLigaSmartBank – June 8, following the guidelines of the Ministry of Health.#BackToWin pic.twitter.com/OjjV61pnBf
– LaLiga English (Laligan) May 23, 2020
After the league was suspended in March, Barcelona topped the table by two points against Real Madrid, and each team could still play 11 games.
La Liga president Javier Tevez said earlier this week he was “overwhelmed” by the prospect of a return to the match. He insisted that they could only proceed with the clearance of the health authorities, but that moving forward from Sanchez meant Spanish football would soon rise again.
Until now, players were only allowed to train in groups of 10 or fewer.
La Liga will resume on June 12 amid a derby clash between Real Betis and Sevilla, according to a report released on Thursday.